Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Transport (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Railways (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=1273)

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Gordon V - 09/04/2017 09:27

(09/04/2017 07:03)wirralbus Wrote:  Strange , as all online literature had it stopped dead at Urmston

It was a way of fooling the passengers for Manchester into getting the TPE and EMT trains to Manchester

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - wirralbus - 09/04/2017 12:45

I do know in the old days when there was a York - Liverpool service via the Calder Valley , to ensure the passengers got the quickest service to Liverpool via Standedge that the service via the Calder Valley was marked up as an Edge Hill service , everybody really knew it was a Liverpool service but that it was an every lamp post service .. if you know what i mean.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Gordon V - 09/04/2017 12:47

(09/04/2017 12:45)wirralbus Wrote:  I do know in the old days when there was a York - Liverpool service via the Calder Valley , to ensure the passengers got the quickest service to Liverpool via Standedge that the service via the Calder Valley was marked up as an Edge Hill service , everybody really knew it was a Liverpool service but that it was an every lamp post service .. if you know what i mean.

Yes know what you mean,remember it and travelled on it back in the day

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - wirralbus - 09/04/2017 12:55

(09/04/2017 12:47)Gordon V Wrote:  Yes know what you mean,remember it and travelled on it back in the day

It was a marathon ... if you was in a hurry it was not the route for you.

I always loved the drop from Halifax to Bradford Interchange and then the climb out of Bradford Interchange to Leeds .

I sure wouldnt like to be on the first units of an autumn morning to trying to get out of Bradford thats for sure , probably will be one big struggle .

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - boby32 - 09/04/2017 13:59

(09/04/2017 07:45)childwallblues Wrote:  319366 has returned to Allerton from Wolverton after mods in the new livery.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96028/2017/04/08/advanced

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 09/04/2017 14:42

(09/04/2017 12:45)wirralbus Wrote:  I do know in the old days when there was a York - Liverpool service via the Calder Valley , to ensure the passengers got the quickest service to Liverpool via Standedge that the service via the Calder Valley was marked up as an Edge Hill service , everybody really knew it was a Liverpool service but that it was an every lamp post service .. if you know what i mean.

I think not using the final destination on trains can be confusing to people from outside the area. One particular example is at Leeds the York via Harrogate service is the one people going to the cricket at Headingley need to get and a Journey Planner might tell them to get the xx:29 towards York but the departure screen at Leeds station won't show an xx:29 to York as it's displayed as Poppleton instead.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - childwallblues - 10/04/2017 07:05

(09/04/2017 13:59)boby32 Wrote:  http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96028/2017/04/08/advanced
Bit late after the event.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - wirralbus - 10/04/2017 08:40

(09/04/2017 14:42)knutstransport Wrote:  I think not using the final destination on trains can be confusing to people from outside the area. One particular example is at Leeds the York via Harrogate service is the one people going to the cricket at Headingley need to get and a Journey Planner might tell them to get the xx:29 towards York but the departure screen at Leeds station won't show an xx:29 to York as it's displayed as Poppleton instead.

The train will be marked up for its final destination , but the platform screens will be marked up for the final station call , wouldnt you be aggrieved if your train took longer than you thought.

With newer and better information screens these days there is less and less of that sort of thing happening as more via's can be put up on main boards than before .

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 10/04/2017 10:38

(10/04/2017 08:40)wirralbus Wrote:  The train will be marked up for its final destination , but the platform screens will be marked up for the final station call , wouldnt you be aggrieved if your train took longer than you thought.

With newer and better information screens these days there is less and less of that sort of thing happening as more via's can be put up on main boards than before .

I don't see what's wrong with putting 'local stopping service' under the destination as occurs with the Northern stoppers to Liverpool and Sheffield from Manchester. However, it seems in Yorkshire they prefer the approach of listing the penultimate station. While trains should show the destination, if there's a short turnaround most of the passengers are on the train before the blinds have been changed.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - St Helens Rider - 10/04/2017 14:45

(10/04/2017 08:40)wirralbus Wrote:  The train will be marked up for its final destination , but the platform screens will be marked up for the final station call , wouldnt you be aggrieved if your train took longer than you thought.

It was always strange when some of the Peak Hour Liverpool - Wigan services extended via Bolton to Manchester Victoria. Screens in Lime Street showed the service going to Salford Central but at the Victoria end it had alternate Liverpool Via Bolton.