Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Transport (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Railways (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=1273)

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - DVG526 - 31/08/2019 15:56

(22/08/2019 06:57)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Looking like a few Liverpool - Blackpool/Wigan/Warrington BQ diagrams are diesel operated today. Also I believe a Pacer was on Liverpool - Blackpool all day yesterday. Must be a fair shortage of EMU`s.

Blackpool’s due to go over to 331 operation from 9th Sept.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - 313201 - 31/08/2019 15:57

Just a hypothetical question if I may, if northern are retaining the 323s as has now been confirmed, would it not make sense possibly to outfit the 319s with toilets and maybe a small retail unit on board.

If that could not be accomodated in a 4 car unit, what would be the possibility of using the withdrawn coaches from class 320s or 321s that went up to Scotland reduced to 3 car units.

These could be coupled into the 319s making them 5 car units where the new 5th coach could have the small retail unit fitted out thus enabling the 319s to run on longer distance journeys to York or beyond up to Newcastle or Edinburgh.

You might all be saying I don't know anything BUT in my straight up opinion, it would be worth considering.

I mean if they can rip out seats just go try out a pointless hydrogen idea or flex sets where generators provide traction power go the 319s motors then surely adding a 5th coach which is of similar design go the original 319 coaches and at least try out the ideas above, if that means upgrading the traction system to give them more umpfff to move a 5 car unit then to me, there could be potential.

Finally, if more 5 car units were produced or at the extreme case, 6 car units formed of 2 × PTSO, 2 × TSO & 2 × DTSO which would give the units 8 motors over a 6 car unit and provide more than enough traction.

Just a few tboughts and ideas but as I said, sonething that northern could possibly consider trying.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Raawwwrrr! - 31/08/2019 18:09

(31/08/2019 15:57)313201 Wrote:  Just a hypothetical question if I may, if northern are retaining the 323s as has now been confirmed, would it not make sense possibly to outfit the 319s with toilets and maybe a small retail unit on board.

If that could not be accomodated in a 4 car unit, what would be the possibility of using the withdrawn coaches from class 320s or 321s that went up to Scotland reduced to 3 car units.

These could be coupled into the 319s making them 5 car units where the new 5th coach could have the small retail unit fitted out thus enabling the 319s to run on longer distance journeys to York or beyond up to Newcastle or Edinburgh.

You might all be saying I don't know anything BUT in my straight up opinion, it would be worth considering.

I mean if they can rip out seats just go try out a pointless hydrogen idea or flex sets where generators provide traction power go the 319s motors then surely adding a 5th coach which is of similar design go the original 319 coaches and at least try out the ideas above, if that means upgrading the traction system to give them more umpfff to move a 5 car unit then to me, there could be potential.

Finally, if more 5 car units were produced or at the extreme case, 6 car units formed of 2 × PTSO, 2 × TSO & 2 × DTSO which would give the units 8 motors over a 6 car unit and provide more than enough traction.

Just a few tboughts and ideas but as I said, sonething that northern could possibly consider trying.

Not too sure what the point of that would be when the 319’s are being replace by further 323’s from West Midlands in a direct swap with Porterbrook. Might as well just throw money straight into a bin.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - SK15 GZG - 31/08/2019 20:03

(31/08/2019 14:54)knutstransport Wrote:  A sole bar fell off 170426 while working the 09:25 Sheffield to Bridlington today. A passenger pulled the emergency cord meaning the train was halted in the Nunnery area.

170426 is a ScotRail unit

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 01/09/2019 09:26

(31/08/2019 20:03)Y474 KNF Wrote:  170426 is a ScotRail unit

I posted what was posted elsewhere on the web. Seems it was actually 170460.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 01/09/2019 09:27

(29/08/2019 20:14)iMarkeh Wrote:  Why couldn't they have just listed the excuses originally and then Network Rail can work through the list and try to work things out instead of one excuse after another.

A petition has been set up asking for Northern & Network Rail to work together to find a solution: http://chng.it/NkfDF8gT

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 01/09/2019 10:25

Really bad service out of Piccadilly today - 2 consecutive Manchester-Chester return workings cancelled due to driver shortages (on a route with a 2 hourly service), a number of cancellations on the Crewe and Stoke routes as well. A number of airport services are starting/terminating at Piccadilly and there's odd cancellations on the Hope Valley and Hadfield route as well.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - St Helens Rider - 01/09/2019 10:57

(01/09/2019 10:25)knutstransport Wrote:  Really bad service out of Piccadilly today - 2 consecutive Manchester-Chester return workings cancelled due to driver shortages (on a route with a 2 hourly service), a number of cancellations on the Crewe and Stoke routes as well. A number of airport services are starting/terminating at Piccadilly and there's odd cancellations on the Hope Valley and Hadfield route as well.

Come to expect it now from Northern. Hopefully fewer cancellations next week once the holiday season's over but wouldn't bank on it.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 01/09/2019 12:12

(01/09/2019 10:57)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Come to expect it now from Northern. Hopefully fewer cancellations next week once the holiday season's over but wouldn't bank on it.

Much worse than usual today. Normally on Sundays they announce only a few cancellations because they 'planned' the day before that they would cancel trains and run buses in their place but today they've cancelled around 40 services so far in addition to the 'planned cancellations.'

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - mikestone - 01/09/2019 12:54

IIRC the last Sunday I checked there was something like 90 cancellations in addition to those preplanned.