Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Transport (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Railways (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=1273)

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 10/12/2018 10:31

(09/12/2018 21:00)Brickmill Wrote:  A Stagecoach DaySaver goes up from £4.50 to £4.80 whilst an off-peak Day Return is frozen at £4.10. The fact that "not everyone" continues across Manchester by tram (or another train for that matter) is irrelevant. In either scenario the price gap between bus and train widens.

Yet you specifically compared a bus+tram price to the price of a rail ticket, as if you were presuming those who buy the Stagecoach Daysaver only travel on one bus route but those who buy the rail ticket to Manchester CTLZ also make an onward journey on Metrolink. If someone from Reddish is going to MediaCity, Old Trafford, The Trafford Centre, East Didsbury or Manchester Airport they can do it on Stagecoach buses alone so still only have to buy the Stagecoach Day Saver but if they travel on Northern they have to pay more.

You've also ignored the fact a Stagecoach Day Rider plus one is slightly cheaper than a Northern Duo currently, that the Stagecoach fares are all day fares not just tickets valid at off-peak times and that a Stagecoach Manchester weekly ticket is cheaper than a weekly season from Reddish North to Manchester.

Quote:You clearly don't know, so I don''t understand why you bothered commenting at all.

I presumed you were trying to compare tickets fairly and logically when you didn't say exactly which tickets the prices you quoted were for. I was wrong to do that.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Brickmill - 10/12/2018 20:36

(10/12/2018 10:31)knutstransport Wrote:  Yet you specifically compared a bus+tram price to the price of a rail ticket, as if you were presuming those who buy the Stagecoach Daysaver only travel on one bus route but those who buy the rail ticket to Manchester CTLZ also make an onward journey on Metrolink. If someone from Reddish is going to MediaCity, Old Trafford, The Trafford Centre, East Didsbury or Manchester Airport they can do it on Stagecoach buses alone so still only have to buy the Stagecoach Day Saver but if they travel on Northern they have to pay more.

You've also ignored the fact a Stagecoach Day Rider plus one is slightly cheaper than a Northern Duo currently, that the Stagecoach fares are all day fares not just tickets valid at off-peak times and that a Stagecoach Manchester weekly ticket is cheaper than a weekly season from Reddish North to Manchester.

I accept that there will be variations in overall destinations and numbers of people travelling, but I suspect both will be a minority overall. Realistically, its irrelevant as its simply a question of how many more people would be enticied onto each already overcrowded train?
Since I raised this, someone at Northern has admitted to the MEN that the lack of units will last until "at least May", although that's hardly a shock.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - ant17612 - 11/12/2018 15:17

Recent transfers from Scotrail in the last few days are;
156447, 156449, 156465, 156485, 156496 158782, 158786, 158868

However 156485 was involved in a fire whilst en route South on Sunday afternoon.

156449 is believed to be at Glasgow Works for full refurb.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - childwallblues - 12/12/2018 10:29

769431 which will be the third to be converted is due to move to Allerton in January.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - SK15 GZG - 12/12/2018 15:03

(12/12/2018 10:29)childwallblues Wrote:  769431 which will be the third to be converted is due to move to Allerton in January.

I've heard it's due next week

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - boby32 - 12/12/2018 17:45

Has a class 195 been in service yet?

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - SK15 GZG - 12/12/2018 17:56

(12/12/2018 17:45)boby32 Wrote:  Has a class 195 been in service yet?

No

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - wirralbus - 12/12/2018 17:59

The recent RMT industrial action does make you wonder whether any of the new brand new trains will see action in the near future as these really are the units that are at the crux of the DCO operations.

LOL Do turkeys vote for Christmas.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 12/12/2018 18:11

(12/12/2018 17:59)wirralbus Wrote:  The recent RMT industrial action does make you wonder whether any of the new brand new trains will see action in the near future as these really are the units that are at the crux of the DCO operations.

LOL Do turkeys vote for Christmas.

They can operate with or without guards. It's actually ASLEF unhappy with the 195s and 331s as they don't like the training program.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - St Helens Rider - 19/12/2018 18:27

RMT have called further strikes for every Saturday in January although I doubt this move will be unexpected by anyone.