Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Transport (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Railways (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Northern (Arriva Rail North) (/showthread.php?tid=1273)

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Brickmill - 01/12/2018 20:56

(30/11/2018 09:32)knutstransport Wrote:  If that's your fact where's your evidence? You need to prove every disabled person can do one of the following:
1. Get a lift
2. Get an accessible bus instead
3. Have funds to pay for a taxi
For EVERY essential journey they need to make.

The context is Saturdays and was mainly conurbations. GM has approximately 100 times as many regularly served (60 jnys per week up to probably 100 times that many on Oxford Road) bus stops in each direction, as rail stations.

Depending on level of disability - eg how far you can walk (if at all) - it is very unlikely you can reach rail, wihout getting a lift. If necessary, get a lift the whole way, rather than just to the rail station. All service buses are DDA compliant by law. The "access" to them is a seperate issue, due mainly to illegal parking and other problems with the walking (or indeed using a wheelchair) environment. Again, bus stop blocking apart - these apply moreso to accessing rail stations.

I suspect your comments are more to do with the seperate thread about disability access, rather than people making essential journeys on a weekend when strikes mean reduced or no trains.

I did say "virtually" every journey; I accept some people are contracted to work Saturdays, but I don't know about East Cheshire, but around here there is no Primary Health Care at weekends and secondary care is remote - and certainly nowhere near rail stations.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 02/12/2018 09:16

Many people work on Saturdays, especially those in retail. In a world where we want 24/7 access to online shopping and other online services the number of people who work at the weekends is increasing.

In Cheshire East there are a number of villages where the only public transport is a Northern service. No Northern services can potentially mean Knutsford Lesuire Centre can't open their swimming pool due to the life guard from Plumley being unable to get in. I would class being unable to get to work is essential even if going swimming isn't.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - wirralbus - 02/12/2018 11:28

I fear this dispute is getting to a stalemate , Arriva may just think long term that they want to get out of all rail franchises , not good for a Government when it loses another potential bidder for franchises .

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - motormayhem1 - 02/12/2018 14:19

These strikes are just gonna get worse and can see franchise after franchise going back into goverment control.
The choice of getting rid of gaurds lies with who , the goverment or arriva rail as i think they all need to sit down and discuss it proffesionally as its having damaging effects on the rail industry especially when the fares go ip in january.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Brickmill - 02/12/2018 21:08

(02/12/2018 09:16)knutstransport Wrote:  Many people work on Saturdays, especially those in retail. In a world where we want 24/7 access to online shopping and other online services the number of people who work at the weekends is increasing.

In Cheshire East there are a number of villages where the only public transport is a Northern service. No Northern services can potentially mean Knutsford Lesuire Centre can't open their swimming pool due to the life guard from Plumley being unable to get in. I would class being unable to get to work is essential even if going swimming isn't.

LIke I said; the context was conurbations

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - knutstransport - 03/12/2018 09:29

(02/12/2018 21:08)Brickmill Wrote:  LIke I said; the context was conurbations

Even in urban areas there isn't always a bus duplicating the rail service and even where there is it can start later, finish earlier or not run on Sundays or take 3 times as long as a train.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - SK15 GZG - 03/12/2018 20:57

The three extra Class 195s will be 3-car units (195131 to 195133)

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - boby32 - 03/12/2018 21:25

(03/12/2018 20:57)Y474 KNF Wrote:  The three extra Class 195s will be 3-car units (195131 to 195133)

According to Wikipedia, Northern is supposed to receive an additional eighteen two-car DMUs comparable to a class 170.

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - SK15 GZG - 03/12/2018 22:04

(03/12/2018 21:25)boby32 Wrote:  According to Wikipedia, Northern is supposed to receive an additional eighteen two-car DMUs comparable to a class 170.

That's been known for a while. At the moment however it's unknown what they will be - although my guess would be more Class 170s or the Class 185s which are due to go off lease

RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - boby32 - 04/12/2018 08:59

(03/12/2018 22:04)Y474 KNF Wrote:  That's been known for a while. At the moment however it's unknown what they will be - although my guess would be more Class 170s or the Class 185s which are due to go off lease

It could be class 175 probably.