Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot (/showthread.php?tid=125)

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Valandil - 18/11/2015 05:33

(17/11/2015 23:25)copey Wrote:  Changes to 84 service from 27th December 2015. Chester service is to go hourly with 3 shorts running to provide 15 minute headway between Crewe and Nantwich. This is due to the apparent need to cut costs on the service to turn a profit. The management have determined that the main source of revenue is between Crewe and Nantwich. Three DAF DB300 Geminis are to be provided for the service which I believe are coming from Speke and three Pulsars for the shorts. These buses are to be put through polish and promote before arrival.
D&G Have also registered a Nantwich short 84 running in the offpeak Mon to Fridays so I think the corridor might be slightly over bussed. This takes effect from 30th Nov 2015.
Also the Crewe local number 8 is being de registered. Apparently D&G have registered the service along with Routemaster Buses, so another case of over bussing on a route that Arriva can't make profitable.
On a different subject, Macclesfield are having to operate the 38 Crewe - Macclesfield Sapphire with only two out of three Geminis due to 4490 being sent away for engine repairs. Centro 2612 is presently on loan from Winsford to substitute.

That does sound bizarre to me.
A long-distance, rural run which requires deckers due to patronage is surely a rare opportunity to hold on to.
I remember being amazed at how many people use the 84, given the type of areas it goes through.

In my opinion, a competitor would do well to register longs instead of further shorts.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - M60lad - 18/11/2015 07:05

Regarding the 38 service would the shortage of Sapphire Geminis be the reason why Macclesfield Solo SRs have been on the route recently or is it usual that one of the first 38s on a Saturday morning is a Solo SR in particular 09:05 from Macclesfield

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - copey - 18/11/2015 10:11

(18/11/2015 05:33)Valandil Wrote:  That does sound bizarre to me.
A long-distance, rural run which requires deckers due to patronage is surely a rare opportunity to hold on to.
I remember being amazed at how many people use the 84, given the type of areas it goes through.

In my opinion, a competitor would do well to register longs instead of further shorts.

I think that the reduction in Concessionary payments to Arriva has a lot to do with the decision.
The route carries a lot of passengers but revenue is too low. The concessionary payments received are now only 56 pence per passenger.
I really do hope that the decision is reversed as I also think that the route has a potential to grow and the services operating from Winsford Depot are rapidly shrinking.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - Valandil - 18/11/2015 14:55

(18/11/2015 10:11)copey Wrote:  I think that the reduction in Concessionary payments to Arriva has a lot to do with the decision.
The route carries a lot of passengers but revenue is too low. The concessionary payments received are now only 56 pence per passenger.
I really do hope that the decision is reversed as I also think that the route has a potential to grow and the services operating from Winsford Depot are rapidly shrinking.

56p for a journey from Crewe to Chester ... if only we could all pay that!

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - dennis-loline - 18/11/2015 16:42

The local independents will think xmas has come early.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - wirralbus - 18/11/2015 16:54

(18/11/2015 14:55)Valandil Wrote:  56p for a journey from Crewe to Chester ... if only we could all pay that!

I don't think anybody could call that a viable price tag for a journey of that distance , can see a major route just disappear if the concessionary pass reimbursement doesn't improve , but austerity will scupper that I suppose.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - T42 PVM - 19/11/2015 11:06

(18/11/2015 16:42)dennis-loline Wrote:  The local independents will think xmas has come early.

And it looks like it has for Route Master Buses as according to the Cheshire West Facebook Page they are going onto the longs as well, Thats more competition for Arriva on there!

http://cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/transport_and_roads/public_transport/bus_timetables,_route_maps_and/bus_service_timetables/bus_service_changes/upcoming_bus_service_changes.aspx

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - SNL 824 - 19/11/2015 17:39

(19/11/2015 11:06)T42 PVM Wrote:  And it looks like it has for Route Master Buses as according to the Cheshire West Facebook Page they are going onto the longs as well, Thats more competition for Arriva on there!

http://cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/transport_and_roads/public_transport/bus_timetables,_route_maps_and/bus_service_timetables/bus_service_changes/upcoming_bus_service_changes.aspx

I assume they will be acquiring modern service vehicles for this and not using their RMs!

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - copey - 20/11/2015 17:36

(19/11/2015 17:39)SNL 824 Wrote:  I assume they will be acquiring modern service vehicles for this and not using their RMs!

I bet the RMs would be more reliable than some of the modern stuff.
On a slightly different theme I previously posted that Winsford would be getting Pulsars for the 84 shorts.
This has now changed to Commanders from Whythenshawe. The three Geminis for the 84 longs are still coming in December apparently.
Routemaster have not released their timetable for the 84 longs yet so I am unsure as to what frequency they are doing and whether it is only in the off peak or all day.

RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot - 33109 - 07/12/2015 10:47

Beastly, why not use the commanders for 84 longs copey? After all their a lot bigger than owt else, also any fleet updates from winsford??? 891/894 are still going strong it seems, as it centro 2610! Its caused sooo much trouble over the years, drivers hated it!