Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Leather vs. Moquette - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Buses and their Bits (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Leather vs. Moquette (/showthread.php?tid=1191)

Pages: 1 2

Leather vs. Moquette - Quackdave - 02/09/2016 19:25

Over recent years the proliferation of leather seating on buses and coaches has steadily increased.

I'm curious as to how many people see this as a good thing, and how many are as dismayed by it as I am.

Whilst I accept that it does have advantages, such as being easier to keep clean and lasting longer in a visually presentable condition, I've never found the texture particularly pleasant to sit on, and I also find it difficult to ignore the fact that even synthetic leather is generally made from pulverised dead cow.

Presumably, the fact that many operators actively promote the fact that their vehicles have leather seats, would suggest that at least some of them must have done research, and found the overall positive public perception to be positive. Nonetheless, I'd be interested to see the views of contributors here.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - buses7675 - 03/09/2016 00:49

I can understand what you mean about the texture of the seating sometimes, however I'd say the fact that it is easier to clean them outweighs this even for passengers as you appreciate the seat you are sat on is likely cleaner than a cloth seat cover.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - Valandil - 03/09/2016 05:59

On the whole, I'm for moquette as well.
Especially in warm weather, when you can stick to the (e-)leather seats ... bleh.
I didn't realise that synthetic leather also involved dead cow skins, so that gives it a further down vote from me as well.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - B10B6514 - 04/09/2016 11:51

This e-leather stuff seems to be a rebranded /renamed version of the old fashioned vinyl coverings.

It does work in some instances where the whole product is marketed as top class such as Blazefields trailblazing route 36 and Citylink Gold services in Scotland but in general use on a bog standard bus I feel it makes the product look cheap and bland.

Moquette can be stylised no end and look classier in the right application - Lothian Buses seem to be able to achieve this with their different types.

Each to their own I suppose.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - SK15 GZG - 04/09/2016 12:12

I prefer leather personally as it wears much better and it's easier to keep clean

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - H101GEV - 04/09/2016 15:31

It's a difficult choice. The moquette is probably the more comfortable, but the downside is it ages quickly and soon looks unsightly, as well as becoming quite smelly if not cared for. The leather stands the test of time a lot better and at least in my experience leaves the interiors smelling a bit fresher for longer. In the heights of both summer and winter, the e-leather is quite unpleasant to sit on I find.

Regularly replaced moquette would get my vote, but seeing as it never is, it's a dead heat.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - MTL0201 - 05/09/2016 15:40

Prefer Moquette seating, however it does age, they're more comfortable in hot weather as Leather seats aren't good at keeping cool[Leather seats in hot weather, they feel like you've just brought something fully cooked out of the oven].

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - Metroline1511 - 10/09/2016 20:01

(04/09/2016 15:31)507009 Wrote:  It's a difficult choice. The moquette is probably the more comfortable, but the downside is it ages quickly and soon looks unsightly, as well as becoming quite smelly if not cared for. The leather stands the test of time a lot better and at least in my experience leaves the interiors smelling a bit fresher for longer. In the heights of both summer and winter, the e-leather is quite unpleasant to sit on I find.

Regularly replaced moquette would get my vote, but seeing as it never is, it's a dead heat.

What I prefer about leather is that it looks more sophisticated. Like you say, moquette seating does age quickly. What I prefer about moquette is the range of patterns, some of which we can associate with specific operators. Most e-leather is just single-coloured, with Stagecoach and Wellglade companies notable exceptions.

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - SLTRegular - 26/11/2016 13:15

Shocked when i rode some of busways of Western Sydney Man and mercedes buses this week that they a didn't have aircon and b had leather seats... never stood up on a half empty bus before in my life!

RE: Leather vs. Moquette - SNL 824 - 09/12/2016 15:23

Most bus seats I recall up to the early sixties were real leather - then vinyl took over. Moquette was only used on coaches and DP vehicles until the late seventies when operators started putting it on regular buses. Seems the trend is now moving firmly towards eleather.