Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot (/showthread.php?tid=11)

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 13/06/2012 20:43

(13/06/2012 20:39)skemnational Wrote:  Nah don't agree mate I work in southport remember and there quite a lot lost mileage goes in coz of a brake downs which can take well over an hour to get too there was a brake down in skem that took a fitter 2hrs to get to that would have took half n hour to get to,
But that doesn't matter as far as Arriva are concerned and from a business perspective. It costs them little more to send a fitter out from Southport than it would from Skelmersdale and if a bus needs to be towed in, it needs to be towed in regardless of where it's based. These costs are much lower than running a whole depot.

The 395 now has a single run of dead mileage (off of the top of my head, it may actually be none) on the first trip but again, they don't have to operate a separate depot for it. Is there any actual dead mileage on the 375/385 timetabling from Southport? This is non-inclusive of breakdowns which, as I say, are negligible compared to the cost of running that depot. Also remember that as Arriva now have an income but no operating costs from the Skelmersdale site, those funds likely cover any lost mileage along the way and then some.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 13/06/2012 20:45

(13/06/2012 20:43)skemnational Wrote:  It's also not good business Sence to shut two depots when they havnt got the land in Bolton
Given that, that can be resolved by moving a couple of routes out to another garage and given the vast amount of money that will be saved in doing so, I'd disagree massively.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - skemnational - 13/06/2012 20:48

The first 5 buses have dead mileage of a morning running dead to hall green and skem and last bus runs dead from Ormskirk the only dead mileage from when skem had it was when the last bus finished in southport so I defo think they lose more now

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - Nicholas - 13/06/2012 20:50

There's a reason why the 360 and 362 are at Bolton, and that is they are money makers. Arriva obviously realise there is money to be made in Bolton, and by redeploying those routes there, and the 10 when that does move across, they are making the depot more profitable.

If they didn't do this, there would have been the situation where Arriva would be running three profit-less depots, and that could have led to all three closing or being sold off.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 13/06/2012 20:52

(13/06/2012 20:48)skemnational Wrote:  The first 5 buses have dead mileage of a morning running dead to hall green and skem and last bus runs dead from Ormskirk the only dead mileage from when skem had it was when the last bus finished in southport so I defo think they lose more now
They may do but, it will have been calculated before the depot closure that the cost of running those dead services is outweighed by the money they save in not operating a depot from Skelmersdale. Realistically, the depot's position along the route means nothing in the grand scheme of things and where money's to be made. It's all about the bonus' up top and if management can see a way of increasing that, they will.

At any rate, if that dead mileage was costing more, they'd have modified the timetable on the services to start/finish at Southport or as close to it as possible.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 13/06/2012 20:56

(13/06/2012 20:50)Nicholas Wrote:  There's a reason why the 360 and 362 are at Bolton, and that is they are money makers. Arriva obviously realise there is money to be made in Bolton, and by redeploying those routes there, and the 10 when that does move across, they are making the depot more profitable.

If they didn't do this, there would have been the situation where Arriva would be running three profit-less depots, and that could have led to all three closing or being sold off.
I'm not debating that at all. What I'm saying is that it's obviously going to be cheaper to move those routes, possibly on a temporary basis, out to another garage whilst land continues to be an issue at Bolton enabling them to finally close the Manchester depot. With expenditure therefore removed/reduced at Manchester, that's more money in the pot overall.

I'm not hugely familiar with the profitability and usage of the Manchester services but I'd imagine that even if the 360/362 were theoretically lost, these routes would make up for it at least somewhat?

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - Damien - 13/06/2012 22:29

(13/06/2012 20:56)CX54 DKD Wrote:  
(13/06/2012 20:50)Nicholas Wrote:  There's a reason why the 360 and 362 are at Bolton, and that is they are money makers. Arriva obviously realise there is money to be made in Bolton, and by redeploying those routes there, and the 10 when that does move across, they are making the depot more profitable.

I'm not debating that at all. What I'm saying is that it's obviously going to be cheaper to move those routes, possibly on a temporary basis, out to another garage whilst land continues to be an issue at Bolton enabling them to finally close the Manchester depot. With expenditure therefore removed/reduced at Manchester, that's more money in the pot overall.

I'm not hugely familiar with the profitability and usage of the Manchester services but I'd imagine that even if the 360/362 were theoretically lost, these routes would make up for it at least somewhat?

Are the 360 and 362 routes solely operated by inbound 575s at Wigan.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - T42 PVM - 13/06/2012 22:35

looking at everything i do think skem should of remained open as the land they want is now a no go as far as am aware, it stops dead mileage its in the centre of the 375/385 so fitters can get to any breakdown sometime the same day not next week... the 360 and 362 can be made easy to run from skem 395 shorts from skem to wigan and get drivers to have their meal break in bolton then end off duty send them back on 395 shorts again.

onto the issue of the land at bolton the best way it now can be sorted would be to hand in the minibus tenders and send the extra buses to runcorn and southport who in fact need them big time

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - T42 PVM - 13/06/2012 22:37

360 is ran on its own (bar 1 trip) 362 comes of 575

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 13/06/2012 22:49

(13/06/2012 22:35)bolton bus basher Wrote:  looking at everything i do think skem should of remained open as the land they want is now a no go as far as am aware, it stops dead mileage its in the centre of the 375/385 so fitters can get to any breakdown sometime the same day not next week... the 360 and 362 can be made easy to run from skem 395 shorts from skem to wigan and get drivers to have their meal break in bolton then end off duty send them back on 395 shorts again.
Simply doesn't matter where the depot is Terry. Fact of the matter is that it's cheaper to close the depot, remove all of their operating costs from the site and simply bring in the rent from it instead. Whichever way you look at it, whichever scenario is presented, it is ALWAYS going cheaper to close a depot like Skem and transfer out it's services. There are options to make the situation work with Bolton/Manchester and if there weren't, Arriva wouldn't have closed the respective garages.