Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot (/showthread.php?tid=11)

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - SLTRegular - 06/05/2016 19:00

why would they?

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - RedPanda - 06/05/2016 20:21

(06/05/2016 19:00)SLTRegular Wrote:  why would they?

To get their numbers up so either TFGM can continue funding the service or Arriva may get so many passengers over a month and then suddenly stop accepting Stagecoach tickets.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - CX54 DKD - 07/05/2016 03:27

(06/05/2016 20:21)RedPanda Wrote:  To get their numbers up so either TFGM can continue funding the service or Arriva may get so many passengers over a month and then suddenly stop accepting Stagecoach tickets.
Arriva receive absolutely nothing for accepting Stagecoach passes though so why would they? If someone gets on using an Arriva pass, they've had money from them at some point. If someone gets on without a pass, they pay a fare. If someone gets on with a Stagecoach pass, there's nothing for Arriva. It's like expecting BA to allow you on with a Ryanair ticket just to boost the number on their service; it would never happen.

As for allowing them and then suddenly stopping, that'd certainly be an excellent way to drive away custom, not gain it.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - RedPanda - 07/05/2016 06:29

(07/05/2016 03:27)CX54 DKD Wrote:  Arriva receive absolutely nothing for accepting Stagecoach passes though so why would they? If someone gets on using an Arriva pass, they've had money from them at some point. If someone gets on without a pass, they pay a fare. If someone gets on with a Stagecoach pass, there's nothing for Arriva. It's like expecting BA to allow you on with a Ryanair ticket just to boost the number on their service; it would never happen.

As for allowing them and then suddenly stopping, that'd certainly be an excellent way to drive away custom, not gain it.

I can see exactly where you're coming from CX54, yes buy one cheap airline ticket to use on a luxury airliner would be extremely unfair and that they wouldn't be aloud to check in if they had the cheap ticket.
Arriva only have three routes in Leigh Monday-Saturday one of which is operated in the daytime and the other two 593 and 658. Passengers don't have a choice of who operates their routes as that's down to Westminster and they can't set prices as that's down to the operator. I wouldn't want to be paying for a ticket that I can use several times on many different routes and then have to pay again for the odd journey, the same route with a different operator.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - T42 PVM - 07/05/2016 08:57

(07/05/2016 06:29)RedPanda Wrote:  I can see exactly where you're coming from CX54, yes buy one cheap airline ticket to use on a luxury airliner would be extremely unfair and that they wouldn't be aloud to check in if they had the cheap ticket.
Arriva only have three routes in Leigh Monday-Saturday one of which is operated in the daytime and the other two 593 and 658. Passengers don't have a choice of who operates their routes as that's down to Westminster and they can't set prices as that's down to the operator. I wouldn't want to be paying for a ticket that I can use several times on many different routes and then have to pay again for the odd journey, the same route with a different operator.

Arriva have 5 routes in Leigh but theres only the 34 worth talking about as the others are just tenders

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - Raawwwrrr! - 07/05/2016 10:12

(07/05/2016 06:29)RedPanda Wrote:  Passengers don't have a choice of who operates their routes as that's down to Westminster.

How?

TFGM Headquaters at Piccadilly design the contracted service, put the route out to tender, they then receive bids for the service from local operators and the one who can put forward the best case wins and operates the service for the amount that they asked for. However, it is not always the cheapest service that gets awarded the contract, other factors include the use of greener buses (Cumfybus Bolton Services), Running several contracted routes that can interwork to lower the cost (MCT Ashton Services), or how flexible ticket options are - i.e A service being operaed by the same operator in the daytime as in the nighttime so that passengers can make full use of operator multi-journey passes (Arriva NW 68A - a Merseyside example).

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - wirralbus - 07/05/2016 10:44

(07/05/2016 10:12)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  How?

TFGM Headquaters at Piccadilly design the contracted service, put the route out to tender, they then receive bids for the service from local operators and the one who can put forward the best case wins and operates the service for the amount that they asked for. However, it is not always the cheapest service that gets awarded the contract, other factors include the use of greener buses (Cumfybus Bolton Services), Running several contracted routes that can interwork to lower the cost (MCT Ashton Services), or how flexible ticket options are - i.e A service being operaed by the same operator in the daytime as in the nighttime so that passengers can make full use of operator multi-journey passes (Arriva NW 68A - a Merseyside example).

Wasn't the Arriva NW 68A (Merseyside) though just as a result of a policy change as originally but not in all cases contracted work was in the 100 to 250 with some special exceptions.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - RedPanda - 07/05/2016 19:30

(07/05/2016 10:12)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  How?

At the time I was meaning the competition between services. I see where I am confusing you. I also put 'passengers don't have choice who operates their routes. Thats down to Westminster.' I meant Westminster controls who operates where with the competition commission and local councils and PTE's decide who operates routes.
Again I didn't include any of Wigan's outbound routes, just Leigh outbound services.

There are two outbound services in the evening Monday to Saturday in Leigh. Both of which are to Wigan numbered 593 and 658. It was reported that a sapphire pulsar operated a service. Since realising I hadn't included Wigan services, I have had a look at the 362 and 593 and compared timetables. They don't match up. I also compared the 593 and 658 and they do work out to interlink with each other.
I will also say that there are six routes out of Wigan. At the time I just had Leigh services in my head operated by Arriva.

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - T42 PVM - 08/05/2016 00:09

(07/05/2016 19:30)RedPanda Wrote:  At the time I was meaning the competition between services. I see where I am confusing you. I also put 'passengers don't have choice who operates their routes. Thats down to Westminster.' I meant Westminster controls who operates where with the competition commission and local councils and PTE's decide who operates routes.
Again I didn't include any of Wigan's outbound routes, just Leigh outbound services.

There are two outbound services in the evening Monday to Saturday in Leigh. Both of which are to Wigan numbered 593 and 658. It was reported that a sapphire pulsar operated a service. Since realising I hadn't included Wigan services, I have had a look at the 362 and 593 and compared timetables. They don't match up. I also compared the 593 and 658 and they do work out to interlink with each other.
I will also say that there are six routes out of Wigan. At the time I just had Leigh services in my head operated by Arriva.

The times of the 362 and 593 are not meant to work out, the 593 and 658 interwork, Its a Tender that Arrivas won and thats it really, Its not meant to fit in with anything... In other news MAN Myllenium 2828 failed on it tonight

RE: Arriva North West - Bolton Depot - RedPanda - 08/05/2016 06:37

(08/05/2016 00:09)T42 PVM Wrote:  The times of the 362 and 593 are not meant to work out, the 593 and 658 interwork, Its a Tender that Arrivas won and thats it really, Its not meant to fit in with anything... In other news MAN Myllenium 2828 failed on it tonight

Yes, I had stated that they didn't workout, I looked at the 362 as it was reported a Sapphire Pulsar operated the 593. 362 is a Sapphire route.