Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
First propose closing three depots - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Bus Scene: Elsewhere (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: First propose closing three depots (/showthread.php?tid=1011)

First propose closing three depots - SK15 GZG - 29/06/2015 17:56

First have proposed closing their depots in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Hereford and Bracknell later this year

http://www.firstgroup.com/about-us/news/statement-first-bus

RE: First propose closing three depots - SK15 GZG - 30/06/2015 15:12

(30/06/2015 07:22)Dentonian Wrote:  iirc, Newcastle was originally proposed for closure a few years ago, but got a reprieve.
I'm also concerned about the poor reporting, with a company's own Media team stating that a bus service (90; Reading-Bracknell) has been "sold" to another company. You can't just sell a bus route. You deregister a service and a rival may register commercially, usually with the local authorities or other interested parties writing to the local TC to support short notice, to ensure continuity of the service.

I was a bit confused about that myself to be honest. I can speak from experience that First's buses in Hereford are indeed underused - and considering the high volume of operators in Hereford it's no great surprise that First have decided to close their depot in the city. It is a shame however that jobs could potentially be lost as a result of the three depot closures

RE: First propose closing three depots - SK15 GZG - 30/06/2015 20:25

(30/06/2015 19:39)Dentonian Wrote:  Admittedly, I am not as closely involved in the operating industry as in past decades, but history suggests that only Hereford is likely to see net job losses, other than possibly a few on the engineering side. Transferring Newcastle ops to Adderley Green will no doubt achieve economies of scale, thus a schedules re-write will slightly reduce the number of drivers (and possibly buses) required, but as the industry has had a chronic driver shortage since Adam were a trainee conductor on TD1s, these would possibly go through natural wasteage or even just a reduction in Overtime because there are less lines on crew rosters unfilled. Similarly, in Reading, the 90 will still need drivers even if the buses are a different colour or shape, and from what I've read about Reading Buses over the years, cost cutting is not their number one obsession.

It's a shame that people could be losing their jobs but I suppose on the other hand it's positive that it would be a smaller number rather than a larger number. There may well be opportunities for those at Hereford depot with the other companies operating in the city as there's Stagecoach and quite a few independent operators too

It's a shame that First have proposed to close Hereford depot rather than sell it to another operator in the area - however I don't think it would be economically viable for an operator of any size to take on a depot that only carries 3,500 passengers a day. That might sound like a reasonable number when you first look at it considering it's a fairly small city in comparison to others - but it works out at just 5.9% of Hereford's population which isn't a lot at all

RE: First propose closing three depots - Metroline1511 - 04/07/2015 20:32

The transfer of route 90 formerly route 190 to Reading Buses will replicate Newbury routes in 1992. It also represents a further disbandment of the former Berks Bucks Bus Company which traded as The Bee Line. Slough joined Bracknell under common ownership by Q Drive in 1993, and joined First as part of the takeover of CentreWest in 1997.

As Slough will be an isolated operation near London, I think First will eventually sell it to Go-Ahead or Arriva. It was actually part of The Shires until sold to Q Drive in 1993.

RE: First propose closing three depots - volvodart - 05/07/2015 05:02

The way things are going it will not be long before Arriva overtakes First to be the second largest bus company in the UK.

RE: First propose closing three depots - Metroline1511 - 12/07/2015 20:25

Oh yes, with first closing Bracknell I wonder whether they might eventually let Stagecoach take over route 94, Bracknell - Camberley? I'm sure Stagecoach have a garage at Camberley.

RE: First propose closing three depots - Southernsofty - 13/07/2015 12:23

(12/07/2015 20:25)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Oh yes, with first closing Bracknell I wonder whether they might eventually let Stagecoach take over route 94, Bracknell - Camberley? I'm sure Stagecoach have a garage at Camberley.

Metroline1511,

Stagecoach have already registered route 94.
Depot is in Aldershot, only a short run up the A331.

RE: First propose closing three depots - SNL 824 - 27/07/2015 21:05

I was in our Bracknell office this morning - strange to see green and cream buses on the 90. I presume Reading took it over at the weekend, as First were still operating the route when I was there last Wednesday.

RE: First propose closing three depots - Metroline1511 - 08/08/2015 20:08

(13/07/2015 12:23)Southernsofty Wrote:  Metroline1511,

Stagecoach have already registered route 94.
Depot is in Aldershot, only a short run up the A331.

Thank you for pointing this out. I then went to the Stagecoachbus website and saw the timetable!