Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Liverpool Lime Street to get an overhaul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Found this Slideshow prepared by Network Rail that shows Plans for Liverpool Lime Street Station to get a Major Overhall, I have bullet pointed the Main changes
  • Platform 1 going
  • Platform 2 and 3 getting extended
  • Platform 6 and 6A going shorter
  • 2 New Platforms to be build between current Platforms 7 and 8
  • Retail Area to get a 1st Floor area so more Shops can open

Also said on the Rail Forum UK that new Services will be introduced from the Station as well
Does look very interesting , looks like there already planning for a more frequent London service , so that maybe two pendolinois can be in the station at the same time and not have a detrimental effect to the rest of the station.
It is very interesting indeed and it's great to see that Lime Street will be receiving a major investment. I think Lime Street has always lacked in its number of retail facilities in comparison to Manchester Piccadilly and other mainline termini that I have visited. Another addition in the rebuild is the installation of ticket barriers - which will be positioned in a wider entrance created by the removal of the Costa Coffee outlet which I assume will be relocated to the new mezzanine level

I think the retail side of Lime Street has needed expansion for some time and it's pleasing to see that it has been included in the rebuild plans. It will be interesting to see if the new mezzanine level covers part of or the whole concourse area (including where the current departure boards are positioned). I think it would be great to see the whole concourse utilised and covered in a similar way to the upper levels at Liverpool ONE with a connecting bridge in the middle so that the current concourse can still receive some natural light via the roof

Whilst the addition of two extra platforms is excellent - I think it would be better if Platform 1 was kept operational. With its closure Lime Street is only gaining one new platform - which isn't a significant capacity increase. It would make sense in my view to keep it in use for extra services or in the event of a platform closure
Looking at the slideshow , it looks like the the lengthening of what at present is Platform 2 would block anything into Platform 1 hence it being removed .
(03/04/2015 08:00)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at the slideshow , it looks like the the lengthening of what at present is Platform 2 would block anything into Platform 1 hence it being removed .

Judging by those diagrams the gap between the existing Platforms 3 & 4 looks narrower than the gap between the lengthened Platform 2 and Platform 1. I don't think that the extension of Platform 2 will render Platform 1 inaccessible to the shorter length trains that use it at present

If a point was positioned at the existing edge of Platform 2 then Platform 1 could be retained for use by 2-car or 3-car Northern franchise services. Platforms 3 & 4 are accessed via a point from a single access track - so I don't see why something similar couldn't be used to keep Platform 1 operational after the rebuild
SL64 JDZ , i think that they wouldnt want another train coming in and blocking a train in to that platform , it would be an operational headache , lengthening that particular platform 2 they must have something in mind .
(03/04/2015 21:57)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]SL64 JDZ , i think that they wouldnt want another train coming in and blocking a train in to that platform , it would be an operational headache , lengthening that particular platform 2 they must have something in mind .

Whilst I understand your point I'm not saying keep it as a fully operational platform. I stated previously that it could be kept partially active for emergency platform closures and extra services by 2/3-car length units only - not in its current usage where it's a fully operational platform. Platform 1 could even be retained as a siding for overnight storage - especially considering that the sidings between Platforms 3/4 and 5/6 will both be lost due to platform widening. The Platform 6A siding will also be lost as that track is due to be lifted

I understand that Platforms 2/3 are not to be HST platforms so presumably they will be to allow six and eight car formations on Northern franchise services
They keep it as a siding area rather than a passenger area .
Work on this project will finally start in Jan 2017:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/live...n-11068979
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Reference URL's