Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: 2 Bus Companies selling up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Rumour in the editorial column of Coach and Bus (or maybe it's Bus & Coach?) magazine, stating that reliable 'informed sources' say that 2 companies in the 'Medium size' sector are in the process of being sold/acquired, doesn't say much else except one of them will is an 'award winning' company and one of the companies taking over will see the 'profits going to Europe',
This would seem to point the finger at Arriva/RATP/Transdev/Abeilo as one of the acquiring companies.
Anyone heard anything?
Does it not state when about this is hapoening.
This was the focus of today's omnibuses blog article and it has led to quite a range of buyers and sellers!

I personally have my fingers crossed that the East Midlands' main independents (Trent Barton and NCT) aren't selling up!
(22/07/2013 20:19)tbone Wrote: [ -> ]This was the focus of today's omnibuses blog article and it has led to quite a range of buyers and sellers!

I personally have my fingers crossed that the East Midlands' main independents (Trent Barton and NCT) aren't selling up!
My wish list would be Go-Ahead acquiring Trent-Barton, the 2 companies have personal links already, similar policies and in effect would secure the future of T-B.
(23/07/2013 06:53)Southernsofty Wrote: [ -> ]
(22/07/2013 20:19)tbone Wrote: [ -> ]This was the focus of today's omnibuses blog article and it has led to quite a range of buyers and sellers!

My wish list would be Go-Ahead acquiring Trent-Barton, the 2 companies have personal links already, similar policies and in effect would secure the future of T-B.

Firstly, Trent Barton is under no risk.

Secondly, whilst there may be some similar policies, there are a number if fundamental differences that would, in my opinion, make Trent Barton worse off under go-ahead management.
(24/07/2013 20:36)tbone Wrote: [ -> ]
(23/07/2013 06:53)Southernsofty Wrote: [ -> ]

Secondly, whilst there may be some similar policies, there are a number if fundamental differences that would, in my opinion, make Trent Barton worse off under go-ahead management.
Wasn't suggesting T-B was 'at risk' as far as I know they are very successful, but the owners might decide to sell up?
Sounds like you might work for them?
(24/07/2013 21:37)Southernsofty Wrote: [ -> ]
(24/07/2013 20:36)tbone Wrote: [ -> ]
(23/07/2013 06:53)Southernsofty Wrote: [ -> ]My wish list would be Go-Ahead acquiring Trent-Barton, the 2 companies have personal links already, similar policies and in effect would secure the future of T-B.

Wasn't suggesting T-B was 'at risk' as far as I know they are very successful, but the owners might decide to sell up?
Sounds like you might work for them?

True, the owners have owned them for quite a while and may want to sell up in the not too distant future, but I can see the business pass on to local owners rather than a large.

No, I don't work for them! I do have an interest in them and having lived on one of their routes for 10 years, I must say they are very good! I've more recently lived on a transdev route, a company who some would say were of a good quality but they pale in comparison to trent, which is why I hope Trent Barton remain local and in the same vein as they currently do. They're big enough to know what they're doing whilst remaining small enough to care, talk to any member of staff from senior managers to drivers and I think you'd get the same impression!
Don't forget that Trent Barton is owned by the Wellglade Group, and I can't see them selling up...
(24/07/2013 22:13)mbonwick Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget that Trent Barton is owned by the Wellglade Group, and I can't see them selling up...
I was assuming with all the speculation that this meant the Wellglade group, you make it sound as if Wellglade is a much larger holding co, when in fact it's T-B and it's various subsidiaries!
All this speculation came about because Coach & Bus spoke of a 'Medium sized company, acting as a buffer' between other bigger companies, in this case Arriva & Stagecoach.
Depending on how you define 'Medium sized' - I would guess 75 + vehicles is a starting point, then only Wellglade, EYMS, Western Greyhound, Cumfybus, D&G/SLT, Uno, Travel de Courcy, Yourbus, Sanders, Stephensons, & Norfolk Green fall into this category.
If we include mainly coach companies who operate some buses, then Holmswood group, Johnsons Henley in Arden, Heyfordian, Weaverway, Galloway & Compass can be thrown into the pot.
Centrebus & Rotala PLC could of course be described as Medium sized compared to the big boys, I think they are @ 500+ each.
I have discounted Transdev, RATP (in expansive mood themselves,) & Abeilo as all are part of much larger foreign owned groups.
Time will tell, the rumours may turn out to be just that.
Would network warrington be classed as a medium sized company as it holds most of warrington on its netwoerks.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's