Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Watched Match of the Day tonight without knowing the results beforehand for the first time in a long while so it was a real pleasure watching Liverpool. This season has been a revelation so far and long may it continue. We just need consistency and we'll be flying.
(16/12/2013 00:37)507009 Wrote: [ -> ]Watched Match of the Day tonight without knowing the results beforehand for the first time in a long while so it was a real pleasure watching Liverpool. This season has been a revelation so far and long may it continue. We just need consistency and we'll be flying.

Spurs were abject. Suarez was unplayable. AVB sacked - ludicrous decision by Spurs, as was Clarke's P45. I doubt either will be out of a job for long.

Both far better managers than Allardyce, so I wonder how much longer he will last in this atmosphere.
Clarke's sacking surprised me, but AVB's didn't at all. Ultimately, Spurs have been embarrassed a couple of times now this season and they've spent big in the summer. He was always on a slippery slope after the City result. Time for him to try his hand elsewhere I think - he'll struggle to find a job at a top English side after his tenure at Chelsea and Tottenham.

Clarke's was harsh, but I don't agree he is a better manager than Allardyce in the sense of getting results. Big Sam has done well at West Ham and, in the past, Bolton and Blackburn. You'd only say his time at Newcastle is a blot in the copybook. West Ham have had a long injury list for most of the season with very few available strikers. They'll come good.
The only thing is, AVB didn't sign the players, so surely director of football Franco Baldini should go as well.
(16/12/2013 00:37)507009 Wrote: [ -> ]Watched Match of the Day tonight without knowing the results beforehand for the first time in a long while so it was a real pleasure watching Liverpool. This season has been a revelation so far and long may it continue. We just need consistency and we'll be flying.

Agreed - Liverpool played brilliant football yesterday with two key players out with injury. For me it was the best team performance I have seen for some time. I think Liverpool just need to keep the momentum going and get some consistency like you say. I think the style of football being played at the moment is very enjoyable to watch - keep it up lads
(16/12/2013 15:43)MPTE1955 Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing is, AVB didn't sign the players, so surely director of football Franco Baldini should go as well.

I wonder how much of the £100 million they got for Bale is left for whoever picks up the job at Spurs.

I suspect Defoe will go in the window unless new manager gives him more starts as well.
(16/12/2013 18:14)DVL418 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16/12/2013 15:43)MPTE1955 Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing is, AVB didn't sign the players, so surely director of football Franco Baldini should go as well.

I wonder how much of the £100 million they got for Bale is left for whoever picks up the job at Spurs.

I suspect Defoe will go in the window unless new manager gives him more starts as well.

Never understand teams that have Director of Football in there management structure , it never seems to work , it just seems to undermine the Manager or is it Coach these days.
(16/12/2013 19:57)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]
(16/12/2013 18:14)DVL418 Wrote: [ -> ]

Never understand teams that have Director of Football in there management structure , it never seems to work , it just seems to undermine the Manager or is it Coach these days.

No, I know what you mean, basically the dof picks and buys the players and then the coach as they are called coaches/manages them. It's very much how a lot of foreign clubs are run isn't it, when it all goes wrong the manager gets it in the neck but not necessarily the dof. Of course LFC nearly had a similar thing with Damien Comolli, however on that occasion be he and the manager (Dalglish) were both correctly blamed with Comolli being the first to go, followed swiftly by Dalglish. Then Rodgers came in and correctly had the say on signings.
Big day tomorrow when we take on Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup.

Spent the afternoon helping to collect from printers and distribute the match programmes. Didn't realise that there are collectors who have a 'standing order' type arrangement for football programmes even though they dont attend the game! Posted out nearly 100, and for those Premiership clubs willing to do it (all then north west ones, do my contact told me) it can be close to 1000 for big games.

Manager has a full squad to pick from, the pitch is in perfect condition and game was sold out a week ago with 2,500 Wednesday fans travelling over the Pennines and seemingly looking forward to standing for the best part of three hours in driving rain on an open terrace. Thats devotion!

A win or draw would keep the financial vultures at bay for another year, if we loose, back to normality at home against Chester week on Tuesday.
The Fa Cup 3rd Round can be a saviour to some of the smaller clubs .

Anybody who says that they dont want to play in the FA Cup like one Premier Manager said this past week should hang there head in shame as this Cup Competition is the white knight for the lower league teams if they can get through the first two rounds .
Reference URL's