Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Wrightbus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(11/10/2019 09:35)Winston Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Wrightbus have been saved from liquidation:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50013959

Brilliant news
Yes its good news I did see this, but in respect though not the end of the issue as the company will need a complete restructure over the next few years and the product range updating/changing, certainly a new Midibus must be a priority as the current Streetlite has really only sold in small numbers and many buyers are not in love with them.

The fact that Bamford is involved in Hydrogen worries me, in that if that is the way forward, the firm may probably collapse again, as Hydrogen isn't the favoured future way for powering buses, electricity is in most cases, yet Wright's really have nothing to offer in this sector except the the handful of vehicles it sold to Lothian. Really an electric model should also be of urgency and certainly an advance on the ones that were sold to Lothian.

All in all though excellent news, that must be viewed with caution to see what evolves over the next couple of years, in regards to both new products and product quality as well as what future power sources might be.
Good news indeed about Wright's and maybe the takeover might reinvigorate them too as and it's only my opinion they did seem (have) to lose there way a bit recently.

Generally they need to get the quality back, perhaps ditch the Streetlite... maybe even StreetDeck and win back some trust from operators who may have moved to ADL and even Optare/MCV recently.

Whatever happens at least for now there's a takeover and a chance for Wright's to recover rather than simply going to the wall at a pretty delicate time too.
(14/10/2019 21:34)gilesbus1 Wrote: [ -> ]certainly a new Midibus must be a priority as the current Streetlite has really only sold in small numbers

I have to disagree with this. Wrightbus have sold hundreds of StreetLites
(15/10/2019 13:30)Y474 KNF Wrote: [ -> ]I have to disagree with this. Wrightbus have sold hundreds of StreetLites

The majority being for First Group I think I think the StreetDeck has sold well too even though it’s an inferior product to its rivals, hopefully under new ownership Wright can improve to the standards used to be.
(15/10/2019 13:30)Y474 KNF Wrote: [ -> ]I have to disagree with this. Wrightbus have sold hundreds of StreetLites

I wonder if that is in fact the root of their problems, and they had effectively been giving them away to overcome their poor early reputation?
It's all speculation but it's not impossible Wrightbus may have lost money on some Streetlite deal's especially the biggest order for them placed by First over the last few years. Neither company seem to have done well recently and it's probably/more likely a combination of things that have seen Wright's end up in this position.

Not sure what the Bamford family's strategy would be for Wrightbus but if times were more simpler it would be more the case of offering quality body on chassis products rather than the integrals they have been offering recently. What will be interesting is how much this receivership thing has harmed Wright's relationship with Volvo, remember Optare almost ended up bankrupt in the mid 90's thanks to it's partnership with DAF Bus so and ended things with them quite abruptly so Volvo could see Wright in a similar light. I'm not sure that will be the case but if they've retained Volvo's confidence, can bring new quality products with them and the operator sector settles down (First takeovers, Arriva future etc.) and orders become more common again they should be in a decent position and have the experience to capitalise hopefully, although IMO I think ADL will have a headstart on them no matter what.
Never know they may add buckets off the JCB diggers to the front so you can do 2 jobs at once.
JCB is strictly separate from Wrightbus, they are held as separate business interests and there is no business link.

Still think that Streetlite sales are part of the issue, very few have been sold over the last few months, the only buyer I can name is Rotala Group, and when was a wheel forward version last built?. The Streetdeck does much better and does have orders pending in considerable numbers, that should be enough to keep it through for now, however new products need to become available quickly. ADL's advantage is that the market for saloons has moved to lightweight vehicles and they have always had the dominate position with those, where Wright's dominate position was at one time with heavyweights on Volvo and Scania chassis, and for them lightweight chassis are a catch up game, as is chassis building.

New products need to be developed sooner rather than later, and in particularly a new model to replace the Streetlite or at least update it, also urgent is an electric model, especially on deckers as that is were the market will move in the future and is already moving to, ADL is already cornering this part of the market with both BYD and BAE, Wrightbus has only ever produced ten single deck vehicles for Lothian Buses, even Optare is further ahead, and Volvo seams likely to partner MCV for its electric buses, so they need to start moving quickly, probably with another company in the electric market to try to catch up, maybe they are so late that they can slip one or two steps and make an overall more reliable model, maybe a firm like GEC offers the partnership option? Who knows.

Of course I wish them the best, but it will be no easy feet to accomplish what is needed.
Jo Bamford's takeover of Wrightbus is now complete
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reference URL's