Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: LCR Franchise Route Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been thinking of the opportunities franchising could bring to the LCR, one of them being more diverse routes & timetables.

Given that bus patronage is on the rise yet we have had a fall in actual service coverage, we have lots to gain in terms of delivering more miles, more areas and increase numbers further.

Just thought id start a discussion surrounding:

What routes would you create in terms of franchising?
What changes would you make to existing services?
Is there any services that should be reinstated from the past?
How do you think the franchising should be structured?

:-)
According to Route One magazine, franchising is now the "leading option"
https://www.route-one.net/bus-routes/liv...ng-option/
On the wirral i would suspect that the primary routes would be :

1 Chester to Liverpool

41 Mill park - Birkenhead - Woodchurch

410 Clatterbridge - New Brighton

413 Seacombe - Birkenhead

432 New Brighton - Liverpool

437 West Kirby - Liverpool

464 New Ferry -Liverpool

472 Heswall - Liverpool

487 Parkgate / Ness - Liverpool (each originating point served every 2 hrs during daytime daily).

Now for reinstatements :
419 Mill park Estate - Arrowe Park Hospital
450 Night Tunnel Service Liverpool - Birkenhead
Why not keep and strengthen the Bus Alliance? It has worked to increase patronage on the main corridors

Progressively extend Partnership Routes, possibly with more recognition of the smaller operators contribution to the network, including feeding to main routes.
This would keep Bus Company goodwill and importantly not end up with a system that has risks for the Ratepayers (subsidy) and political interference!

London franchise system is often quoted - their passengers have been dropping recently and I believe there is a very big subsidy involved.
(25/02/2020 09:17)Gateacre Wrote: [ -> ]Why not keep and strengthen the Bus Alliance? It has worked to increase patronage on the main corridors

Progressively extend Partnership Routes, possibly with more recognition of the smaller operators contribution to the network, including feeding to main routes.
This would keep Bus Company goodwill and importantly not end up with a system that has risks for the Ratepayers (subsidy) and political interference!

London franchise system is often quoted - their passengers have been dropping recently and I believe there is a very big subsidy involved.
The bus alliance doesn't score as many political points I think is the main reason.

Everyone looks at the London system as perfect because that is what it looks like on the surface but then when you get into it and you see that now more than ever they are forcing everyone to change buses (Which discourages usage), cutting back frequencies on what were some of the most used routes (25) and the fact a good chunk of the bus network is subsidised by the tube fares and other grants/income streams.

Don't get me wrong, TFL waste a lot of money. The cable cars I think cost hundreds of pounds per week to the taxpayer. the NB4L which then cost thousands to retrofit opening windows. You also have teams of people who don't trust bus drivers to know where they are going so instead put diversion signs up on sign posts.
The money TFL could save though, I still think the bus network would be in losses.
(25/02/2020 09:17)Gateacre Wrote: [ -> ]Why not keep and strengthen the Bus Alliance? It has worked to increase patronage on the main corridors

London bus services are a different animal to any other area , cant see many more operators than we have at the moment and if the bus companies Arriva and stagecoach worked it out between them they could force the price of the franchises up , who would be the winner the bus companies who would be the losers LCR and the local council tax payers.
Reference URL's