Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Selwyns Travel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Are the little Smart Eco things that Selwyns operate, the same buses that used to operate at Birkenhead Woodside?
The ones used by Selwyns are tri-axle Tecnobus Pantheons while those used at Birkenhead were smaller 2 axle Tecnobus Gullivers, though they are admittedly quite similar and from the same manufacturer.

Some of the Gullivers did operate temporarily in St Helens in 2007 though as cover for the Pantheons while they were suffering reliability issues.
Thanks for that. I thought they looked similar but different - couldn't quite figure it out
What happened to the Gullivers?
Not sure what happened to all of them, but one (S251 AFA I think!) is somewhere at Liverpool Airport. Mustn't have moved in some time though as the last pic of it it had very flat tyres, however it remains in Smart Eco livery.
From what Chris-S mentioned on the old forum, these Pantheons shouldn't be around for a huge amount of time now (I think just over a year was mentioned?) before being replaced with some form of hybrid which will also see the beginning of a small charge on the E services.

Edit: Thinking back, there was actually someone senior looking from Selwyns on one of the services the other week discussing the reliability of Pantheons with the drivers and they sounded like they were discussing something to do with replacements as well but the service left before I heard anything with regards to that.
I think that is correct about them having a one year extension, as originally they were to end in 2012, on which grounds the original contract must have been 10 years (or 2 five year terms) as the buses were new in 2002.

It does seem a shame to an extent though to replace them with hybrid buses - Surely this is the wrong way as such adding in diesel engines on what is currently an electric service. Given the 10 years of advanced technology, wouldn't something like a Solo EV with its modern day batteries/super capacitors be better progress than diesel/electric hybrids?
Well I wouldn't be so sure, I don't know if the Tecnobuses are reliable or anything but Durham's Solo EV's don't seem to be the best. For example usually only 1 is in service out of 3 with a PVR of 2 which is pretty disgraceful frankly. So it may be more on the basis of reliablility but like you say it is strange to replace them with Hybrids rather than Zero Emmission Vehicles.
Just to clarify - the original contract from 2002 to September 2007, the second contract runs September 2007 to September 2012, although from what I remember Chris stating on the previous forum was that the contract had been extended until March 2013. This is when the Hybrids were going to come in and also there were plans for an E service to the new Tesco. I think I've remembered everything correctly and hope this helps.
Yes, an extension to the new Tesco certainly rings bells St Helens Rider. As for reliability of the current Pantheons, it can be hit and miss as sometimes their fine and then you can go a few days with dropped trips because vehicles are down every so often.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's