Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Arriva Strike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
(21/10/2017 18:11)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Lets face it, most of Runcorns routes could easilly be displaced elsewhere. X30 is already moving to Chester. 82a & X1 could go to Speke. 79C to Green Lane or Speke. 110 would probably end up with St Helens. Only the 1, 2 & 3 left Speke is closest but has only deckers or St Helens Or Chester are both around the same distance then.

I dont see how strikes would help close a depot but if it were to happen, ^^^ is what I have heard will happen.

i would say all routes could be run from Speke even the 110 with inter working, bar the busway local services and they may just give them up or interwork those with other routes,run i would think using the same buses as now,think of skelmersdale`s closure as an example of how this could happen
Speke is primarily deckers and obviously moving all services could cause problems at Speke with lack of space. Deckers cant run in most of Runcorn due to low bridges. I thought St Helens as they have the Solo SRs for the 3 and they have the right size vehicles for the 1 & 2.
(23/10/2017 03:04)MTL0201 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Crosville Liverpool depot was quite militant, using any excuse to go on strike, the catalyst for the last strike was a batch of ex West Midlands Fleetlines brought in to cover routes Crosville gained at D-Reg, the Union refused drivers to drive them on all day duties as they had no power steering, however Crosville regularly used vehicles without power steering before so refused Union request, i do remember the sit in at Love Lane depot after the staff got sacked, some of the sacked drivers got taken on by Merseybus.

Post deregulation the bus industry was in a state of flux and it bears no resemblance to the current situation where there are four big group, a handful of arms-length operators and a growing number of medium-sized outfits. Having said that, the one constant is the fact that the industry is still desperate to recruit and retain staff. Could it be something to do with pay and conditions?
Quite a few people waiting for Arriva buses on Sir Thomas Street, Liverpool this afternoon, seemingly oblivious that there was a strike on.

At least they were grateful for me telling them about it and saving them an even longer wait for nothing!
(23/10/2017 18:06)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Speke is primarily deckers and obviously moving all services could cause problems at Speke with lack of space. Deckers cant run in most of Runcorn due to low bridges. I thought St Helens as they have the Solo SRs for the 3 and they have the right size vehicles for the 1 & 2.

if and it`s a big if Runcorn did close,whatever depots took over the work would use the same vehicles as now, what Speke has for it`s own services at the moment is not relevant
(23/10/2017 18:06)iMarkeh Wrote: [ -> ]Speke is primarily deckers and obviously moving all services could cause problems at Speke with lack of space. Deckers cant run in most of Runcorn due to low bridges. I thought St Helens as they have the Solo SRs for the 3 and they have the right size vehicles for the 1 & 2.

Can we stop speculation on depot closures and future allocations and focus on what the thread is for please?
We're going way off topic
(23/10/2017 18:27)Turbostar19 Wrote: [ -> ]Quite a few people waiting for Arriva buses on Sir Thomas Street, Liverpool this afternoon, seemingly oblivious that there was a strike on.

At least they were grateful for me telling them about it and saving them an even longer wait for nothing!

I wonder how they managed to get into the city centre. Perhaps they had all been out all night clubbing it and were on their way home Laugh 2.
Lots of people around Warrington asking for the 360 and I told them on Thursday that it isnt running. Especially late on. It did make me think as well, how did they get into Warrington. Quite a lot of people surprisingly for Wigan. They all got the 19 and changed at Leigh. They all knew the alternative. MAybe the 360 is that bad people have to know the alternative lol
I think arriva runcorn depot is safe, im surprised they closed warrington & haydock, their is a depot that i think is really under threat it has lost so much work it only hss 5 routes now & some buses ran from that depot yesterday, i think some of Cheshire routes were run by fesr of depot closures, i wonder how the chester drivers will feel driving past the picket line at runcorn next monday when the X30 is moved depots, im not sure it will run
Mtl97, if you look at the routes though, why have a depot when all services are in close proximity to other depots like what has been said above. All staff in one place reduces office staff, rents, spare bus costs and so on. The only thing which would stop it happening and stop it making sense would be the extra fuel for the 1, 2 and 3 routes. All the rest can 'safely' be moved over to other depots.
I reacon Chester will run. In fairness, if Runcorn arent happy with it, they can just have the X30 come off the expressway, turn right, left into Halton Hopsital then turn around there missing out the busway and Beechwood. As Chester isn't part of the strike, it would be wrong of them not to run full service.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Reference URL's