Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Sale of Local Authority bus companies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
In his Autumn statement, George Osbourne said local authorities could keep the cash from sales of assets so I wondered if any of ours will be up for sale? Any thoughts?
(18/12/2015 23:01)rod_259 Wrote: [ -> ]In his Autumn statement, George Osbourne said local authorities could keep the cash from sales of assets so I wondered if any of ours will be up for sale? Any thoughts?

Network Warrington are always strapped for cash, possibly sell to First or Rotala
Red Panda , I would not sell to First , when they had the Wirral area before selling to Stagecoach they just starved the operation of investment .

First just seem to be interested in certain area's , example Gtr Manchester and Aberdeen to name two area's.

Rotala , on the other hand seem to have a different philosopy and will invest money.
(19/12/2015 07:46)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]Red Panda , I would not sell to First , when they had the Wirral area before selling to Stagecoach they just starved the operation of investment .

First just seem to be interested in certain area's , example Gtr Manchester and Aberdeen to name two area's.

Rotala , on the other hand seem to have a different philosopy and will invest money.

First's only north west operations are Greater Manchester ones. Branch out a little.
Diamond North West mostly have contracts with TfGM don't they but Preston Bus I'd say are larger like Reiva and Stagecoach. Difficult to say Rotala.
Red Panda how do you know Network Warrington are 'currently' strapped for cash?
It is a bit clear Network Warrington are struggling otherwise they would not of put their fares up as much as they did and they would not of had to take a loan out with the council, However First will not buy it as they are still sorting themselves out and Rotala just dont have the funds for something to big
(19/12/2015 09:09)T42 PVM Wrote: [ -> ]It is a bit clear Network Warrington are struggling otherwise they would not of put their fares up as much as they did and they would not of had to take a loan out with the council, However First will not buy it as they are still sorting themselves out and Rotala just dont have the funds for something to big

Should either Warrington or Halton be put up for sale I would have thought that Stagecoach would be best placed to bid for these two operations for two reasons. Firstly, unlike Arriva, as they currently have no other interests in these areas they would not be prevented by the MMC from bidding and secondly, in the past few years they have a good track record of acquiring and turning around failing bus operations, Wirral being a prime example.
The MMC was replaced by the competition commission, but they now have been replaced by the Competition and Markets Authority, and recently, they've dealt with Stagecoach's acquisition of First's Plymouth operations, an area where Plymouth Citybus compete. But, the deal was cleared, despite it reducing the number of operators from three to two. There is also the failing company criteria test, and, consider something else; Network Warrington does have competition, albeit limited, but with the potential to expand. So, if NW were to be sold, don't rule out Arriva.

The most important thing is, no local authority bus company is up for sale, certainly not right now.
Surly at a time when we are constantly being told of budget cuts wouldn't local aurthoritys want to hang on to valuable assets like thier bus operations?

As for network Warrington. It does coke accross that they are short of cash given the way they rob passengers but I suspect that is down to current management. The need to go out and purchase brand new vehiches then flog them 3 years later as there no longer needed strikes me as slap in the face for hard up passengers - espically when other municipuls such as Halton and Rossendale happily make do with second hand acquisitions.

I would imagine NW would be gold to Stagecoach as it's a developed network in an area where they don't really operate.
Rotala I don't think would take an interest, and in any case they seem very slow to invest and develop there interests.
Arriva were interested in taking over but the council still want a hand in routes, prices etc which ultimately put Arriva off..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's