Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Isle of Man Steam Packet Company
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A thread for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company.
Does the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company only use Twelve Quays Terminal at the Weekend's in the Winter with the Ben-My-Chree .

Is there a meaning to the name Ben-My-Chree ?
That is correct wirralbus

The name Ben-my-Chree means "Girl of my heart" in Manx
Thank you for taking the time to explain the meaning of the name of the Ben-My-Chree.
No problem Wirralbus! Smile
They had the old Side loading ferry way back in 2000 when I first moved to the IOM used that one and was very sick on it as was everyone else then took the seacat when we left the island in 2001 its got retired not long after I think. I also remeber the dodgy loading and unloading ramp Liverpool had for rear door ferrys that used to go up and down with the motion of the waves looked quite scary and dangerous. I also remember a certain wind change created havok for the ferrys to get into port some sat out there for ages sometimes at dusk if your out walking at Douglas you could see the lights of the ferry stranded outside port sometime with the ferry stranded youd often get the days newspaper in the afternoon or it was flown in
That sounds like Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Ships Masters where gauging whether they would have enough draft under there ships to safely get in , its not the top of the wave you have to worry about its the trough after the wave thats more worrying when there is a likelyhood of touching the bottom causing damage to the underside.

At one time until Aberdeen Harbour Entrance was deepened the same applied there , but the big difference is the cost can be equalised out by all the other users of that Harbour , it may not be the same at Douglas.
The RO-RO freighter Arrow is due to commence its charter to the Steam Packet on April 28th
Sailings between the Isle of Man and Birkenhead have been cancelled until the end of the year due to a steering fault on the vessel Ben-my-Chree.

In a statement the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company said it would be out of action until at least 31 December.

The company has brought its fastcraft Manannan, which was getting its winter overhaul, back in to service to do sailings between Douglas and Heysham.
Cat service to Liverpool cancelled today due to damage to the vessel. Quite a few people stranded, particularly as also disruption to flights due to fog.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's